PORTALE - WEB TV - GRUPPO FACEBOOK - PAGINA FACEBOOK - INSTAGRAM - TWITTER

Benvenuti nel forum di PASSIONE PEUGEOT AUTO CLUB ITALIA, dal 2002 il punto di riferimento degli appassionati italiani del Marchio del Leone!

NON SOLO FORUM! SCOPRITE I VANTAGGI DI ESSERE UN PEUGEOTTISTA UFFICIALE: ISCRIVETEVI ANCHE AL CLUB!

IL PROSSIMO EVENTO IN PROGRAMMA:
UN GIORNO AL MUSEO - ARESE (MI) - 5 MAGGIO

IN CASO DI PROBLEMI CON LA REGISTRAZIONE AL FORUM LEGGERE QUI - RIORDINO THREAD SPARSI CAUSA DISSERVIZIO: LEGGERE L'AVVISO

Restauro Peugeot 404 Coupé Iniezione in Canada

bassplayer
Moderatore
Moderatore

Re: Restauro Peugeot 404 Coupé Iniezione in Canada

Messaggio da bassplayer »

Man, you really have golden hands. I believe this post is going to become the most exaustive guide for a 404 restauration ever!

Squalo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Messaggio da Squalo »

bassplayer ha scritto:
18/08/2020, 10:57
I believe this post is going to become the most exaustive guide for a 404 restauration ever!
Absolutely true :study:
Tessera Club n. 040
IN GARAGE:
5008 II 1.5 BlueHDi 16v S&S GT Line
Emeral Crystal | 05/2018 | Immagine ovvero Immagine
305 1.5 S Beige Antilope | 05/1982
505 Familiale 2.0 GR Gris Futura | 11/1984
505 2.3 SRD turbo Gris Boréal Métallisé | 08/1981
504 2.0 TI Gris Clair Métallisé | 03/1973
206 2.0 16v GTi Gris Flandres | 12/1999
EX:
307 2.0 HDi 16v Speed'up FAP 5 porte
Gris Fer | 05/2004
*GRAZIE LEONESSA*
306 Cabriolet 1.8 Roland Garros
Vert Grand Chelem | 03/1996
"PEUGEOT C'EST SERIEUX"

Mike T.
Peugeottista fast&furious

Messaggio da Mike T. »

Thank you guys! It has been a long journey. Obviously I don't do this kind of work for a living so it is a bit slow and "learning on the fly", and "trial and error", as we say.

The Peugeot 404 crankshaft sludge trap plugs are brass and have a large hex keyway. The threading into which they're screwed is staked, which damages the threads in one spot and so reversing that damage is required before they'll come out. I used a Dremel power tool with a dentist drill sized head to take the ridges off the threads by the staking.

The hex tool will work sometimes, allowing you to turn the thing all the way out, though it likely will be stiff as hell. In my case, this tool worked one in four times. The other three were immediately rounded.

So I took a different approach for those. I used a larger Dremel drill head to carve a small channel at each of the 6 corners of the hex depressions and then hammered a Torx-60 socket into place. Rammed it home!

Using this approach on the three jammed ones made removal easy.

Immagine
Immagine

I got a similar amount of sludge/paste out of all 4.
Immagine

I find it interesting that the 2nd and 4th main bearings appear not to be pressure lubricated at all
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection No. 4598609, cambio Nardi
Registra il tuo 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

I was wrong about the main bearings 2 and 4...it seems as though they were an afterthought following the 3 main bearing engine but they do indeed have pressured oiling from the block, just not internal canals inside the crankshaft. Serves me right for spending too much time staring at the crankshaft yesterday!

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

Immagine
Immagine

Cleaning of the aluminium engine parts is done. Vapour blasting was the technique.

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

There are small traces of maintenance instructions that were printed on the steel body of the Purflux fuel filter...
Immagine

Timing cover!
Immagine

Intake manifold
Immagine

Throttle body after vapour blasting...
Immagine

...and the throttle body after disassembly, new bearings to be installed and to be cleaned internally.
Immagine

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

Eldest daughter Jennifer brought the rebuilt gearbox home.  Personalized note on the top cover!

If you're wondering, the Nardi shifter can only be bolted on from inside the cabin, once the gearbox is in position below the car.  There is no other way to install it.  So I leave the corrugated plastic in place until I'm ready to install the shifter.

The bearing near the centre of the closeup photo is the main input shaft bearing, SKF 6207N.  This is the one that generally gets noisy in the 404 C3 gearbox as it ages, with the engine idling and clutch pedal released (input shaft spinning).  Even loose in my hand it made a significant noise, which none of the others did.

I'll see about installing it tomorrow after I fashion some sort of front support out of a steel strap I bought, to simulate the factory tool, and then put the shifter on....

Immagine
Immagine

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

I mounted the carpet on the transmission tunnel after the removable insulation and fibreglass shells were installed.  

I think this will be a provisional job because I realize now that the original carpet piece that the new one was modelled on was not the optimal shape for the area behind the shifter.  You see the drop-off after the shifter boot, well that is about 7 cm shy of the end of the rear tunnel carpeted section.  I guess the original carpet had a separate strip for that area.  So I made one up from the dark blue original tunnel carpet and it looks presentable, but the rigorous solution would be to have it all in one piece, with the lower section being part of the min tunnel carpet but shortened so it fits the radius of the lower tunnel ideally.  

So when the car is on the road again and Covid-19 is under control I will visit the guy who made it and have him custom make another one in one piece.
Immagine

bassplayer
Moderatore
Moderatore

the end of the tunner seems ti be closer and closer.
Sorry if I repeat myself, but this is one of the most astonishing restoring works I have ever seen.

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

Thank you, yes it is a long tunnel! I have just been finishing up the last little things while I await the engine returning from the builder, maybe late in February of 2021.

I replaced one of the Cunifer fuel lines I installed last year because the one done last year was too short. No problem.....
Immagine

I changed the worn brushes form the best interior ventilation fn unit I have:
Immagine

I lengthened the wires for the blower switch, which I have relocated from the blower to the dashboard...
Immagine

Installed the blower unit on the transmission tunnel, ahead of the Nardi shifter you can see on the left...
Immagine

One day this instrument panel will go into the 404 Coupé. Le Club 404 made the aluminium panel in late 2020 and the instruments are mostly from Canadian market Renault 8 Gordini and Renault 8 S. Only the oil pressure gauge is not from a Canadian model Renault. This panel is identical to the one in Europe that was a dealer accessory, but with km/h, °C, of course. Canada has been a metric country since 1978 but this car was sold here in 1967 so MPH and °F is correct. Some of the gauges need work before I will be prepared to install it. The car will be used with the original panel in the first year or two.
Immagine

I removed the highway horns (Klaxon brand), took them apart, cleaned the rust off, got the electric points inside clean again and after hand painting with Krylon rust paint, they're back together again, and the adjustment nut on the back side allows the horn to be tuned so it works properly again.
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine

This car has three horns and the third one was beyond repair. So I bought one of the same size and marque (Sanor) from a guy in France and installed it late last week.
Immagine

Now the car is finished except for the engine, which should come back, as I write above, in the next few weeks.

One day I would have liked to bring this car back to Europe for a tour, including Italy of course, but I think that will not happen. Though I can say for sure my wife and I will do a thorough visit to all of Italy in a couple of years, when travel again becomes possible. Probably in a modern rented Peugeot!
Immagine
Immagine

Squalo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Messaggio da Squalo »

We will be here waiting for you... even with a modern Peugeot :D
Tessera Club n. 040
IN GARAGE:
5008 II 1.5 BlueHDi 16v S&S GT Line
Emeral Crystal | 05/2018 | Immagine ovvero Immagine
305 1.5 S Beige Antilope | 05/1982
505 Familiale 2.0 GR Gris Futura | 11/1984
505 2.3 SRD turbo Gris Boréal Métallisé | 08/1981
504 2.0 TI Gris Clair Métallisé | 03/1973
206 2.0 16v GTi Gris Flandres | 12/1999
EX:
307 2.0 HDi 16v Speed'up FAP 5 porte
Gris Fer | 05/2004
*GRAZIE LEONESSA*
306 Cabriolet 1.8 Roland Garros
Vert Grand Chelem | 03/1996
"PEUGEOT C'EST SERIEUX"

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

The engine shop told me a couple of weeks ago that the 0.3 mm oversized connecting rod bearings were not fitting as they should, so they would have been in the wrong box I suppose. So I ordered from Great Britain a set of 0.3 and 0.5 mm connecting rod bearings, which arrived at my home on Friday. In three days I will take them to the engine shop.
Immagine

I also wondered about how best to attach the small North American type front license plate (number plate) to the car. The original plate holder was cracked and rusted and the European plate shape is totally different. So I decided to buy a used rear plate holder from a Mercedes, which are made of thick stainless steel and adapt it to the front of the 404C. This required two new holes to be drilled into the Mercedes plate holder in order to meet the spacing of the Italian-made Peugeot bumper. It worked well, in fact it seems it would be a pity to cover this shiny item with an actual license plate!
Immagine

bassplayer
Moderatore
Moderatore

Very nice job with the licence plate holder.
Also I did not know about the bumper"s italian origin. Is there a brand or manufacture's name?

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

I don't have a name on it, but it was most likely made in Italy, as was the upper body and interior fittings, being a Pininfarina-built car. I just assume it is Italian. The bumper was made in three pieces - front, and two sides, welded together. Of course on the French-built 404s they're not welded but rather bolted together underneath the little rubber-capped over-riders.

Mike T.

Messaggio da Mike T. »

Immagine

This is the engine this afternoon, when I was giving the new connecting rod bearings to the engine builder near Victoria BC. It is coming together well. When these cars were new, the engine block was not painted, but I may give it a coating of dull black engine paint once it is back in my garage.

Torna a “404”